[Publish] Creating and managing draft posts
All team members, regardless of permissions, are able to create posts within Drafts. For account owners and team members with Full Posting Access, drafts can be moved to the Queue at any time. For team members with Approval Required Access, approval will need to be requested before the post is moved to the Queue.
If you're keen to learn more about how Buffer Publish works for teams, we'd love for you to join a weekly webinar where we'll be providing a live demo of Buffer Publish for Business and answering questions on the spot. Feel free to register here.
Start by selecting the social account on the left hand side of your dashboard that you'd like to create a draft post for, and then head into the Drafts tab under Content.
Click inside the box at the top of your Drafts list, which says Create a new draft.
This will open up the drafts composer, which is where you can create your post. Type in or copy and paste the text you'd like to use for your post.
Please note that at the moment, it is only possible to create drafts for one social account at a time. In the future, we'd love to add the ability to create drafts for multiple social accounts at the same time.
For Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, you'll see some Suggested media below the message box. These images are being scraped from the page that you're sharing and you can click on any of them to include them with your post. Up to 4 images can be included for Twitter, while only 1 can be included for Instagram and Pinterest. Alternatively you might prefer to upload your own image or video, which you can do by clicking on the upload button on the left hand side.
For Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+, you'll see a link preview, which mirrors what you would get if you were sharing a link on one of those networks directly. You can choose an alternative image for the link preview by using the arrows to the left and right of the image, or replace the link preview with an image or video only by clicking Replace link attachment with image or video.
- Link shortening: Any links you paste into the composer will be automatically shortened, using the link shortener of your choice. For more information on choosing a link shortener, please click here.
- Mentions: Buffer Publish supports mentions for Twitter and Facebook Pages. Simply type in the @ symbol and start typing the first few letters of the Twitter account or Facebook Page you’d like to mention. Matching results will be returned. Mentions are not currently supported for LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest or Instagram.
- Hashtags: You're able to include hashtags in your posts for any social network and they will be hyperlinked once published. For Twitter specifically, we offer hashtag suggestions. Simply type in the # symbol and start typing the first few letters of the hashtag you'd like to include. Matching results will be returned. Hashtag suggestions are not currently available for Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest or Instagram. Keen to learn more about using hashtags effectively in your social media marketing? Check out this blog post!
Once your draft post is ready, there are a few options for you to choose from:
- Add to Drafts (default): Your post will be saved at the bottom of your Drafts list.
- Share Next: Your post will be saved at the top of your Drafts list and once moved to the Queue, it will be saved at the top and be the next post to be published. Other posts already in your Queue will all be bumped down one slot.
- Schedule Draft: You will be able to choose a custom date and time in the future for the post to be shared. This will only be applicable if the draft is moved to the Queue before the date and time passes.
The options you'll see will depend on your permissions:
- Account owners and team members with Full Posting Access will be able to add any drafts to the Queue, edit any drafts and delete any drafts (regardless of who created it).
- Team members with Approval Required Access will be able to request approval on their own drafts, edit their own drafts and delete their own drafts.
Add the post to the queue
Applicable to the account owner and team members with Full Posting Access.
As the account owner or a team member with Full Posting Access, you can move any draft from Drafts to the Queue, even if the team member who created the draft has not yet requested approval. Simply click Add to Queue and it will be moved into the next available time slot in the Queue.
Applicable to team members with Approval Required Access.
As a team member with Approval Required Access, you will need to request approval of your draft once you're happy with it. Simply click Request Approval. Your draft will then be moved to the Pending Approval list.
Edit the post
If you want to make modifications to the draft, you can click Edit, make any changes you like and then click Save. Remember, the account owner and team members with Full Posting Access can edit any drafts, while team members with Approval Required Access can only edit their own.
Delete the post
If you'd like to remove the draft completely, click Delete and then Confirm. Remember, the account owner and team members with Full Posting Access can delete any drafts, while team members with Approval Required Access can only delete their own.
For information on inviting team members and setting up permissions, please hop over to this guide.