[Publish] Buffer Browser Extension
|IN THIS ARTICLE|
|| Using the Browser Extension
| More ways to use the Browser Extension
The Buffer Browser Extension makes sharing content even quicker and easier! It allows you to open the Composer on any web page and add posts right to your Queue, without having to go back to your dashboard. The Extension is currently supported on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera, and you can grab it here!
Using the Browser Extension
Find an article or blog post that you’d like to share and click on the Buffer icon at the top of your browser.
The Composer will open up on the page. Select the social accounts you'd like to include by clicking on the avatars at the top of the Composer.
A separate box will appear for each type of social network that you've selected. For example if you're sharing to Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, you'll have three boxes available. If you're sharing to multiple social accounts of the same network, e.g. multiple Facebook accounts, you'd still only have one box per social network. Learn more here.
The title of the page along with a link to it, will be automatically pulled into each box ( excluding Facebook), which you can then use to form your message. We recommend customizing the message for each social network that you're sharing to. Learn more about why it's important to customize your social media posts here.
When it comes to adding media to your posts, the options you'll see will vary depending on the social network you're sharing to. Please refer to the table below.
Link attachment Suggested media
✓ ✓ (4) ✓ (4)
✓ (1) ✓ (1)
- Link shortening: Any links you paste into the composer will be automatically shortened, using the buff.ly link shortener by default. Learn more here.
- Facebook Page mentions: To mention a Facebook Page, simply type the @ symbol and start typing the first few letters of the Page you'd like to mention. Matching results will be returned and you can select the Page you'd like to include. Learn more here.
- Twitter Mentions: To mention a Twitter account, simply type the @ symbol and start typing the first few letters of the account you'd like to mention. Matching results will be returned and you can select the account you'd like to include. Learn more here.
- Hashtags: You're able to include hashtags in your posts for any social network and they will be hyperlinked once published.
Once your posts are ready, you'll have a few scheduling options:
- Add to Queue (default): Your posts will be added to the next available time slots from your Posting Schedules (this is usually the bottom of your Queue). Learn more here.
- Share Next: Your posts will be saved at the top of your Queues and be the next ones to be published. Other posts in your Queues will be bumped down one time slot. This option is only available on our Pro and Business Plans.
- Share Now: Your posts will be published immediately, essentially skipping the Queue.
- Schedule Post: You will be able to choose a custom date and time in the future for the posts to be shared. Learn more here.
More ways to use the Browser Extension
If you find an image on a page that you’d like to use with your post, simply hover over it and click on the Share Image link that appears, or right click on the image and click Buffer This Image. The Composer will open with the image already attached to the post!
Sharing selected text
Another great tip is that you can easily share quotes by highlighting a snippet of text on the page and then clicking on the Buffer icon in your browser menu, or right clicking on the text and clicking Buffer Selected Text. The Composer will open, this time without the page title, and instead with the text that you highlighted, wrapped in quotation marks.