[Publish] Buffer Browser Extension
IN THIS ARTICLE
The Buffer Browser Extension makes sharing content even quicker and easier! It allows you to open the composer on any web page and add posts right to your Queue, without having to go back to your dashboard. You can grab the extension for your browser by heading to this link. It's currently supported on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera.
Adding posts to your Queue using the Browser Extension
Find an article or blog post that you’d like to share and click on the Buffer icon at the top of your browser.
The composer will open up on the page. The browser extension uses the new Tailored Posts composer, which allows you to create a completely unique message for each social network that you're sharing too. Keen to learn more about the benefits of this? Check out these articles:
Select or deselect the social accounts you'd like to include by clicking on the avatars at the top of the composer.
A separate box will appear for each type of social network that you've selected. For example if you're sharing to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+, you'd have 4 boxes available. If you're sharing to multiple social accounts of the same network, e.g. multiple Twitter or Facebook accounts, you'd still only have 1 box per social network. You can read more about that here.
The title of the page along with a link, will be automatically pulled into each box ( excluding Facebook), which you can then use to form your message. We recommend customizing the message for each social network that you're sharing to and you can read more about that here.
For Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, you'll see some Suggested media below the message box. These images are being scraped from the page that you're sharing and you can click on any of them to include them with your post. Up to 4 images can be included for Twitter, while only 1 can be included for Instagram and Pinterest. Alternatively you might prefer to upload your own image or video, which you can do by clicking on the upload button on the left hand side.
For Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+, you'll see a link preview, which mirrors what you would get if you were sharing a link on one of those networks directly. You can choose an alternative image for the link preview by using the arrows to the left and right of the image, or replace the link preview with an image or video only by clicking Replace link attachment with image or video.
- Link shortening: Any links you paste into the composer will be automatically shortened, using the buff.ly link shortener by default. On our Pro and Business Plans, you're able to decide which link shortener to use. For more information on choosing a link shortener, please click here.
- Mentions: Buffer Publish supports mentions for Twitter and Facebook Pages. Simply type in the @ symbol and start typing the first few letters of the Twitter account or Facebook Page you’d like to mention. Matching results will be returned. Mentions are not currently supported for LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest or Instagram.
- Hashtags: You're able to include hashtags in your posts for any social network and they will be hyperlinked once published. For Twitter specifically, we offer hashtag suggestions. Simply type in the # symbol and start typing the first few letters of the hashtag you'd like to include. Matching results will be returned. Hashtag suggestions are not currently available for Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest or Instagram. Keen to learn more about using hashtags effectively in your social media marketing? Check out this blog post!
Once your posts are ready, there are a few options for you to choose from:
- Add to Queue (default): Your post will be saved at the bottom of your Queue, in the next available time slot from your Posting Schedule.
- Share Next: Your post will be saved at the top of your Queue and be the next post to be published. Other posts in your queue will all be bumped down one slot. This option is only available on our paid plans (Pro, Business, Enterprise).
- Share Now: Your post will be published immediately, essentially skipping the Queue.
- Schedule Post: You will be able to choose a custom date and time in the future for the post to be shared. These posts will be locked in place and won't be affected by anything else happening in the queue. This option is only available on our paid plans (Pro, Business, Enterprise). For more information on custom scheduling posts, please click here.
If you find an image on a page that you’d like to use with your post, simply hover over it and click on the Share Image link that appears, or right click on the image and click Buffer This Image.The composer will open with the image already attached to the post.
Another great tip is that you can easily share quotes by highlighting a snippet of text on the page and then clicking on the Buffer icon in your browser menu or right clicking on the text and clicking Buffer Selected Text. The composer will open, this time without the page title, and instead with the text that you highlighted, wrapped in quotation marks.
2 lesser known ways to use the Browser Extension
The Buffer extension also offers another feature, called the Power Scheduler, which is a really great tool to help you share an article multiple times. This is a great way to give your content the maximum exposure it deserves. Hop over to this guide for a full walkthrough of the Power Scheduler.
The extension also allows you to schedule both retweets and Facebook shares!
Add retweets to your Queue using the Buffer icon that appears beneath the tweet. You can also click on the retweet icon and then click on Buffer Retweet. Hop over to this guide for a full walkthrough.
Add Facebook shares to your Queue using the Buffer link that appears beneath the post.