[Publish] Scheduling Instagram reposts
IN THIS ARTICLE
One of the best aspects of social media is being able to share something with your followers. On Twitter, you can retweet. On Facebook, there’s the option to share a post. And on Instagram, you can repost, which is essentially a way to share a photo or video from another Instagram user, with your followers.
Though reposting isn’t an official feature of Instagram’s apps or website, it’s something that many brands and users have been doing for a while now. And it’s a tactic that has delivered great success, too. Here at Buffer, reposting was a key factor in our growing our Instagram audience by over 60 percent.
Getting permission to repost
With other social networks, reposting is a native feature that comes baked into the product experience and expectations. On Instagram, since this isn’t a native part of the app, there needs to be an additional step. Before you repost, you must request permission from the original poster so that you can repost their work. You can do this in a few ways:
- Send the original poster a direct message in Instagram
- Comment on their photo to start the conversation
- Connect via email to iron out the details and get explicit permission
How to schedule Instagram reposts through Buffer Publish
Open the Instagram app on your iOS or Android device, and find the photo you'd like to repost.
Once you've found the photo and received permission to repost, tap on the three dots at the top right of the photo and then tap Copy Link.
Open the Buffer app on your iOS or Android device. The link will have been copied to your clipboard. The Buffer app will recognize the Instagram link saved to your clipboard and ask if you’d like to repost that content to your own Instagram account. Tap on the link at the bottom of the screen.
You'll then be reminded to get explicit permission from the original poster before moving ahead. Assuming you have this permission, tap Got it! to continue.
The composer will be automatically pre-filled with the caption from the original post, and will also give credit to the image creator by adding their @username. You can add your own comments too, if you like.
Once your post is ready, tap Share at the bottom right of your screen and choose your sharing method:
- Add to Queue (default): Your post will be added to the next available time slot from your Posting Schedule. Depending on the type of post, it will either be published automatically at the right time, or you'll receive a reminder to your phone at that time.
- Share Next: Your post will be saved at the top of your Queue and be the next one to be published. Other posts in your Queue will be bumped down one time slot. This option is only available on our Pro and Business Plans.
- Share Now: Your post will be published immediately, essentially skipping the Queue. If the post is scheduled as a reminder, the notification will come through to your phone right away.
- Schedule Post: You will be able to choose a custom date and time in the future for the post to be shared.
If your post was scheduled as a Reminder, you'll see a bell icon in the Queue. At the time the post is due to be published, the reminder will be sent as a push notification to your phone. For guidance on notifications and posting, please refer to this guide.